IRS EIN Responsible Party

In order to obtain an EIN with the Internal Revenue Service you must elect a “responsible party”.   This is one of the individuals who controls, manages or directs the entity.  It must be a real person, not another entity and the filing will include their individual Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN or EIN).

The IRS defines “responsible party” for all entities that do not file with the SEC as follows: “the person who has a level of control over, or entitlement to, the funds or assets in the entity that, as a practical matter, enables the individual, directly or indirectly, to control, manage or direct the entity and the disposition of its funds and assets.”

This content is for general educational purposes only and does not to provide any specific legal advice. By using this Site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and Trident Legal.  This information should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Leave a Reply